7 steps to a successful landscape transformation
If you have just bought a new house with beautiful garden area, you might be wondering what to do with it. After all, a good garden space shouldn’t go to waste, especially since there are so many ideas you can implement. Landscaping is not as easy as it seems, especially if you lack the experience.
There are many things you must take into consideration. From what features you want to include, to what design best fits the place, you are better off consulting a landscape designer. If you still want to deal with the transformation on your own, then you should take the following tips into account:
- Start from the front – the front garden is a perfect place to start your landscaping transformation. That is the most logical place since it is the first thing people notice about your property. Go for functionality, since the front of your house is going to be used quite a lot. Think about a garage and a pathway to your front door. Looks are important, but you want this place to be practical above everything else.
- Hard landscaping projects first – before you delve deep into the secrets of landscaping, you must know that hard landscaping should be dealt with first. Projects in this category include designing the driveway, porch, parking area, patio and fencing before jumping into plant life. The completion of these projects often compacts the soil, which could spell disaster to plantings.
- Plant near your house – embracing your house with foundation planting and not covering it is the way to go. If there are any low windows or porches, you should put low-growing shrubs and groundcover. Save larger plants for the corners of your home to soften the usual box-like structure.
- Create an enjoyable back garden – the back garden of your home is where you will have some fun. Patios and decks are an excellent addition to any garden. They present sitting and dining opportunities.
- Fire up – there are many features you can include in your landscaped garden, but not many of them have such an impact as a fire feature. An outdoor fireplace or a fire pit is not only an exciting addition but also allows you to use the place when the temperature outside is a little chilly. Outdoor kitchens and grilling stations add not just warmth, but can also be used to gather with people and cook some lovely food outdoors for your al fresco dining.
- Pay attention to your side garden – don’t let your side garden be just a place you rarely see or visit. It is the ideal spot for your utilitarian needs. For instance, that is where you can store your firewood or garbage bins. All you need is a walkway on one of the sides of your house so that you can go from the front side to the back.
- Choose plants – consider the conditions in your garden. Consult with gardening experts on what plants work best for your area. Know that going for local varieties is always preferable since you will need to invest less care in such plants.
Designing a new garden can be tough, but if you follow the points above, you can navigate successfully through it. Consider the help of a garden landscaping company for this task.